It is said, Food is the ingredient that binds families together…
Very true, because Indian Food is really about getting your families and friends together and dig into those classic aromatic delicacies while you all bond over conversation. And when speaking of Indian food, Gujarati cuisines inherited from the rich and vibrant culture of Gujarat in India, is worth a special mention. Why? Because Gujarati dishes are like an explosion of flavours in your palate- a little bit of sweet, a little spicy, a little salty and a little sour and you just can’t have enough of it. There are some exquisite vegetarian restaurants in Malvern that serve extraordinary Gujarati cuisines. Have you frequented those places yet?
Anyways, today we are not going to talk about the vegetarian restaurants rather we are about to discuss the delectable Gujarati dishes to eat while in a good Indian restaurant. After all, food is all about experiencing the traditions and ethos in a single plate. So, let us find what are the top 5 Gujarati recipes that you must sample.
- Gujarati Mixed Vegetable: Certainly, mixed vegetables doesn’t sound so appealing…isn’t it? But, you should taste Gujju’s Special Vegetables. It is very flavourful and absolutely delicious. If you prefer vegan meal or vegetarian food, then definitely Gujarati mixed vegetable recipe is something you would fall in love with. In any vegetarian restaurant, this dish is available, but you should have it in an authentic Gujarati restaurant to sample the right taste.
- Kathol: You would never believe plain pulses could taste this good if you haven’t given this dish a chance. This Gujarati dish contains brown chickpeas, whole green gram, dried green peas and many such pulses that gives it a rich, creamy texture. It is a very healthy and nutritious recipe that you can enjoy with your family anytime. Tastes very good when taken with rice or chapatis (Indian flatbread).
- Undhiyu: Gujarati undhiyu is an immensely popular Indian dish. Why? You need to taste it for yourself. Undhiyu contains loads of seasonal vegetables and fried fenugreek leaves, potatoes and purple yam dumplings. Accented with fragrant herbs, this dish is like a feast to the soul. So, next time you make your way to an Indian vegetarian restaurant in Malvern, don’t forget to dig into exotic undhiyu.
- Thepla: Thepla is a type of very thin Indian flatbread infused with fragrant herbs. Gujarati theplas can be complemented with sweet Gujarati pickles or curd or Indian chatni. Even if you are on a special diet, you can have a thepla with curd as it is very low in calorie but very high in taste and health factor.
- Gulab Jamun: Can any meal feel complete without a fine sampling of a mouth-watering dessert? Obviously not! So, here is the most famed Indian sweet called gulab jamun. Be it any festival or a family gathering, gulab jamun is a must in every Indian occasion and only one small bite of this Indian dessert will let you know why it is so popular. After all who can resist its soft, creamy and divine taste? Made from milk solids, saffron and sugar syrup, this is a very unique dish. So, if you are in an Indian vegetarian restaurant, don’t leave the place without having this delicious dessert.
Next time when you are meeting your closest friends or family, gather around at an Indian restaurant and try these comfort foods which will warm your bonds and souls.
Enjoy a slice of your happy life with a slice of good food!